Monday, February 23, 2015

The Read-Aloud Scaffold by Judy Bradbury

At the children's book festival on Saturday, I took advantage of the opportunity to listen to Judy Bradbury speak.  She was prepromoting her latest book, which I think that if we are able to implement some of the plans she presents might just have the potential to get our kids off to a great start as readers.  I am really looking forward to her new book which will be out in March.

So, even though I don't have my p-card yet (thus I am unable to use district $ to buy books), I did buy another one of her books for my own self.  I will even share it with you if you come visit me in the library before or after school because I am just that nice.  The reason I bought this one is because I was totally sold on her message

Some people think that there is no room in the Common Core for fiction read aloud.  We all know in our hearts that this is not what is best for our kids.  The key is in how we understand the term "informational books."  Informational books means that books we use to find information.  Fiction books DO contain information, but it may be embedded within a story or a poem.  In this awesome reference book she offers many examples of how to gather information from fiction texts including resource lists by subject, extension activities, time requirements, author stories, and citations of poems that may take only 30 seconds to read but reinforce information beautifully and can be used any time throughout the day.  I was impressed.  She has so many ideas of how to use fiction read aloud an effective part of the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment