Monday, February 23, 2015

Thing 23: Makerspaces

Well, I am supposed to be track one, not track three, but when I saw that my friend who works at Fairport Public Library was involved with a second grade field trip to Rochester Makerspace, my interest in this was piqued.   This is something that I should know about.

I began to explore the concept of Makerspaces.  So basically, I understand  the idea of makerspaces to be open forums where "makers" can come in and tinker or experiment with materials to solve a problem or create something new.  My inner child wants to jump up and down and sing at this concept.  I think I just found Cloud Cuckoo land, and I get to play the part of Princess Unikitty from the Lego movie if I can do this with my students.  Yes, we need to play with Legos.  How do I get my hands on Legos for my school library?  Like I think I really need like two Lego Classic large sets.  I would offer broad design challenges inspired by comics in the Lego Club magazine or Lego easy reader books.  Or I would just let the kids sit at a table and play with Legos.

As a Pre-K through second grade school, I am also inclined to think that making should involve construction paper, glue sticks, scissors and crayons or colored pencils..  Like this project is open-ended and useful:
http://makeitatyourlibrary.org/play/corner-bookmarks#.VOtS4Mco7bg

I also came across this really cool game that I myself want to play, and I think the kids might enjoy it too, as a bonus:
 
So seeing as how I just spent nearly $200 in my imagination, perhaps it would be best to stop before my imaginary wallet is too thin to see.  I think what I will actually do is do my best to take Mr. Finch's class on a field trip to Rochester Makerspace and consider the creative inspiration of the makerspace concept in planning my lessons here in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment